- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. sweet sausage or hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 5-oz. package baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 2 15.5-oz. cans navy or cannelloni beans drained
- Crusty Italian sub rolls, ciabatta rolls, or baguette
- Grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese optional
- Chopped parsley optional
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add sausage, breaking apart with a heat-proof spatula, and cook until browned. Drain excess liquid and grease.
- Add garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and continue cooking until garlic just begins to turn light brown, about 1 minute.
- Carefully add tomatoes, chicken stock (or water), salt, pepper.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 10-12 minutes.
- Mix in spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. (An 8-oz. package is OK if you prefer a bit more spinach.)
- Add beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Split the sub rolls or bread lengthwise, toast under broiler or in toaster oven, and butter lightly. Ladle a generous portion of ragù over rolls and top with grated cheese and parsley.