- 2 pounds boneless pork butt trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions one quartered and one chopped fine
- 5 medium garlic cloves 3 peeled and smashed and 2 minced or pressed through garlic press
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- table salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 14.5-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground chipotle powder
- prepared tostada shells or brush corn tortillas with olive oil and bake about 8 minutes at 450°F-475°F
- queso fresco or feta cheese
- fresh cilantro chopped
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- lime wedges
- Cook pork, quartered onion, smashed garlic cloves, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, bay leaves, and water to cover in slow cooker for several hours until pork is tender. Shred pork.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add shredded pork, chopped onion, and oregano; cook, stirring often, until pork is well-browned and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chipotle powder, and reserved pork cooking liquid; simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve on tostada shells with cheese, avocado pieces, cilantro and lime.