- 1 can (16 oz.) chopped clams drain and reserve juice
- 2 medium onions finely diced
- 3 medium potatoes coarsely diced
- 2 medium tomatoes seeded & diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground red paprika
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over moderate heat. Add vegetables and cook, stirring, until coated with butter and heated throughout, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer gently until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the reserved clam juice.
- Stir in the clams, parsley, thyme, curry powder, and paprika. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and curry powder as desired. Makes about 7 cups.