- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- salted water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- few dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- dried breadcrumbs for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot filled with salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook just until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and whisk in flour. Cook a few minutes, taking care not to brown the flour.
- Off the heat stir in the milk, salt, cayenne pepper, mustard, and Tabasco. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When the sauce thickens, simmer several minutes longer.
- Off the heat stir in the cheese. When the sauce has cooled slightly, add the eggs and mix well.
- Layer half of the macaroni in a buttered 9”x13” baking dish. Top with half of the sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle top with bread crumbs and bake 30-35 minutes, or until the top is brown and sauce is hot. (For us 35 minutes works well.)