- 1 medium cooking onion small dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 14.4-ounce can shredded sauerkraut Silver Floss brand preferred. If you prefer a less sour taste, give the sauerkraut a very light rinse in a strainer under cold tap water.
- 2 14.4-ounce cans water
- ½ (about ¾ lb.) boneless ham quarter cut into small cubes (3/8-inch)
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- ½ 14.5-ounce can diced (or petite diced) tomatoes pulse once or twice in blender or food processor to break up large pieces slightly
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper coarse ground
- 1 8-ounce can Campbell’s Pork & Beans
- In a 4½-quart stock pot sauté the onions in butter over medium-high heat until browned and evenly caramelized (being careful not to burn).
- Add the sauerkraut, water, ham, garlic, tomatoes, salt and pepper, bring to a slow simmer and continue simmering for about 35 minutes, or until the ham is tender.
- Stir in the pork & beans. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve with sliced seedless rye bread. A side of smashed potatoes goes well with it, too.