This is excellent over fresh pineapple and strawberries!
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy-based orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier) can also use bourbon or kirsch
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks, cream, sugar, brandy-based orange liqueur, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan until smooth.
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula scraping the bottom, until the mixture is hot and thickens slightly, and a thermometer reaches 180°F (82°C), 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain to remove any over-cooked particles of egg, and allow to cool.