The partially cooked, vacuum-packed gnocchi found in the pasta aisle work best here, but refrigerated or frozen gnocchi can also be used. (We used Rana brand from Weis.) Serves 4.
- 1¼ cups vegetable broth
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese grated (1 cup)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb. vacuum-packed gnocchi
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms trimmed and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves torn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk broth, Parmesan, cream, nutmeg, and ½ teaspoon pepper together in bowl; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add gnocchi and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then transfer to plate.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth mixture and gnocchi and bring to simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
18 Feb. 2022: Used 1 cup Chicken Broth, 1½ oz. grated Parmesan Cheese, ½ tsp. ground Sage, one 12 oz. bag Rana Skillet Gnocchi, 6 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms, Wondra Flour for additional thickening. No Basil, no Nutmeg, no Salt (the butter was salted and broth was low sodium).