- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 1¼-1½ pounds boneless chicken breasts cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper chopped
- ½ medium green pepper chopped
- 1 small shallot chopped, optional
- 2 small cans mushroom pieces drained*
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or Wondra flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt optional
- ½ cup ready-to-use chicken broth*
- ½ cup dry white wine or sherry
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ½ cup frozen baby peas thawed
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken for 5-6 minutes or until no pink remains in the chicken. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, then lightly sauté the shallots, red pepper, and green pepper together for 2 minutes. Add the flour and continue sautéing for a minute or so longer. Stir in the mushrooms and then add the chicken stock and white wine. Bring to a gentle boil and continue to cook over medium heat to thicken, about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked chicken, then slowly add the cream and bring to a simmer, stirring until smooth and thickened. Add the peas. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until heated throughout, stirring frequently. Serve immediately over lightly buttered toast (best), cooked white rice, or egg noodles.
(*For chicken broth you can substitute the juice from the mushrooms and one packet of chicken bouillon.)