Beef Tortilla Pizza
I’ve thought about these (my mother used to call them Mexican Pizzas) a few times over the past few years, but I couldn’t remember what cookbook of pamphlet they were in. My father finally found the recipe today and sent me a photo of it. These were always a favorite when I was growing up in the 1980s.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1 medium tomato seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Brown ground beef and onion in skillet over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Pour of drippings.
- Stir oregano and salt into beef.
- Lightly brush tortillas with oil. Bake tortillas on 2 large baking sheets in 400°F oven for 3 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture evenly over the top of each tortilla; top with an equal amount of tomato. Sprinkle with basil and cheeses.
- Return to oven and bake 12-14 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned.