- ½ cup unsalted butter plus more for pan
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 zucchini about 10 oz.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup medium-grind cornmeal
- Position a rack in the middle of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter a 9x5x3” loaf pan.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue cooking until butter solids at bottom of pan turn golden brown, about 3 minutes. Scrape butter into a medium bowl. Set aside and let cool. Whisk in eggs and buttermilk.
- Trim zucchini ends. Thinly slice 5 ⅛” rounds from one end of zucchini and reserve for garnish. Coarsely grate remaining zucchini. Add to bowl with butter mixture and stir until well-blended.
- Sift both flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl. Whisk in cornmeal. Add zucchini mixture; fold just to blend (mixture will be very thick). Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top. Place reserved zucchini slices atop batter down center in single layer.
- Bake bread until golden and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 55-65 minutes. Let it cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool completely on wire rack.