This is based on a recipe for Whole Grain Brownies from King Arthur Flour. I halved the recipe and omitted espresso powder. I bake them in an 8”x8”x2” pan lined with Reynolds pan lining paper.
- 113g (½ cup) unsalted butter
- 213g light brown sugar
- 32g cocoa (I used Burgundy Cocoa from King Arthur Flour)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼-½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 85g white whole wheat flour
- 170g (1 cup) chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter, then add sugar and stir to combine.
- Return to microwave, heat to 110°F-120°F (hot but not bubbling).
- Transfer to bowl, stir in cocoa, baking powder, and vanilla.
- Add eggs, stirring until smooth.
- Add flour and nuts, stirring until smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared 8”x8”x2” pan and bake for 25-30 minutes (mine were perfect at 26 minutes one time, 29 minutes the next). Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack.