I make half the recipe, which perfectly fills my two glass fruitcake pans (lined on the bottom with parchment or waxed paper). I baked them for 2 hours, 45 minutes at 250°F but next year we’ll try a little less time (5-10 minutes less).
- 1 pound whole pecans
- 1 pound red crystallized cherries
- 1 pound green crystallized cherries
- 1½ pounds natural crystallized pineapple
- 10 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Butter five 3-pound foil pans and line with waxed paper. Dredge pecans, cherries and pineapple in ½ cup of flour.
- Cream butter in electric mixer, add sugar gradually and mix until smooth. Add lemon extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in remaining flour and salt. Add nuts and fruit and mix until all are moistened.
- Pour cake into the lined pans and bake at 250°F for 3½ hours or until done. Let cake cool on wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan, peel off waxed paper carefully and finish cooling on rack.