- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup baby carrots sliced, about ⅛-inch thick
- ¾ cup celery sliced, about ⅛-inch thick
- 1½ cups onions chopped; about one medium-large onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups water more as needed
- 2 19-ounce cans cannellini beans with liquid
- 1 large tomato seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried sage leaf flakes or about ¼ ounce fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1 heaping cup small pasta e.g. farfalline
- ½ cup green onions chopped; use mostly the dark green tops
- Heat olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Lightly sauté the carrots and celery for 10 minutes. Add onions and garlic, then continue to sauté about 5 minutes more.
- Add 3 cups water, beans with the liquid, tomatoes, sage, salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes to blend the flavors, stirring occasionally. Mix in the pasta and bring to a light boil. Cook until pasta is tender but still firm to bite, about 12 minutes, adding more water to the soup by ½ cupfuls if it gets very thick. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with chopped green onion tops and serve with crusty bread and salad. Makes about 6 servings.