From Martha Stewart Living, June 2016
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature, plus more for pan
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest finely grated
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 pint blueberries optional, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9-by-13 inch baking pan; dust with flour. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter with 1 cup sugar on medium speed in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until cake is golden and puffed and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 22-25 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Combine lemon zest and remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. Use an offset spatula to spread cake with frosting. Sprinkle with lemon sugar. Serve with blueberries.