Recipe for Superstone long clay baker, taken from Sassafras Store.
- 2¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1½ cups (195g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (130g) rye flour
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons caraway seeds optional
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast in water. Mix flours with caraway seed if using, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add yeast mixture and oil to flour mixture and mix until the dough is soft. Add more flour, if necessary, to keep dough from being sticky.
- Place dough on a lightly floured dough cloth and knead for 8-10 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise in a warm and draft-free place for about 2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and form a loaf to fit inside the clay baker. Insert the loaf into the baker.
- Cover and allow the loaf to rise for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- With a sharp knife, cut 2 or 3 slashes in the top of the loaf. Brush the top of the loaf with cold water, cover the baker with the lid, and bake at 400°F for 35-45 minutes.