- 2-2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope (2¼ teaspoons) Fleishmann’s yeast, not rapid rise yeast
- 2 generous tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 additional tablespoons butter melted, for brushing over finished dinner rolls
- In a large bowl, stir together ¾ cup of the flour, the yeast, the sugar and the salt.
- In a small saucepan, place the milk, water and butter over medium heat. Stir until the butter is melted and mixture has reached a temperature between 120-130°F. The best way to ensure the proper temperature is to monitor the mixture as it heats using an instant read thermometer.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture. Using a hand-held electric mixer on medium speed, beat until mixture is smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula frequently, about 30 seconds. Increase mixer speed to high, add another ¼ cup of the flour and beat until thoroughly incorporated. Remove the mixer, and begin stirring in flour, in ¼ cup amounts, until a soft, manageable dough forms, about ¾ cup more flour.
- Using the heel of your hand, begin kneading the dough, turning the bowl a quarter turn with each push down, until a smooth ball forms, continuing to sprinkle in additional flour to keep it from sticking to the sides of the bowl. As often as I make these rolls, I always use the entire 2¼ cups of flour!
- Cover the bowl of dough with a clean towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes. This important rest will allow the gluten in the flour to develop.
- Uncover the dough. If you have a kitchen scale use it. You will have 1 pound, 2-3 ounces of dough.
- Spray an 8” round baking pan lightly with no-stick cooking spray. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces, about 1½ ounces each. Between the palms of your hands, roll each piece into a ball and arrange them in the bottom of the pan as pictured (9 around the perimeter of the pan, 3 in the center). Cover the pan with the towel and allow the rolls to rise until doubled in size, about 45-60 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bake on center rack of preheated oven until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes, and, when tapped on the top with the knuckle of your finger, they sound hollow.
- Remove from oven and within 1 minute, invert the rolls onto a cooling rack.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the rolls with a light coating of melted butter and allow to cool to slightly warm or room temperature.