Serve with cock-a-leekie soup! Or for breakfast or dessert.
- 1½ cups diced prunes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⅔ cups (217g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup canola or light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in center position. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Soak prunes in boiling water with baking soda, 15 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg or cinnamon. Whisk together brown sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl; stir in plum mixture, walnuts, and flour mixture until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55-65 minutes. Cool bread in pan on a rack 5-10 minutes before removing.