From Martha Stewart Living, June 2016
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup buttermilk room temperature
- ¼ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate (61% cacao) chopped
- Fresh Strawberry Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat butter with sugar on medium speed in a mixer fitted with paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition and scraping down sides as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour.
- Whisk together cocoa powder and ¼ cup hot water in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer 1 heaping cup (10 ounces) batter to medium bowl. Add cocoa mixture and stir until just combined; fold in chopped chocolate.
- Divide chcolate batter evenly among muffin cups. Top with remaining vanilla batter. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until golden brown and a tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 20-22 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack before removing. Cupcakes can be stored up to one day in airtight container at room temperature. Just before serving, spread buttercream over cupcakes.