This recipe is based on Vanilla Cupcakes from Joy of Baking. I’ve added chopped maraschino cherries so they taste a lot like the traditional birthday cake my mother always made for me. Works well with a simple maraschino cherry buttercream, or with chocolate frosting. Makes 12 cupcakes.
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup (130 grams) granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1½ cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces (85 grams) maraschino cherries chopped and pressed between paper towels to drain juice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) milk room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the almond extract.
- Add the chopped cherries to the milk.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk & cherry mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 17 - 20 minutes or just until set and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. (Always check a few minutes before the stated baking time. Mine were done in 18½ minutes.)
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing.