From joyofbaking.com. This recipe makes about 1½ cups and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. I made it with Meyer lemons and it was amazing!
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml/grams) freshly squeezed lemon juice 2-3 lemons
- 4 tablespoons (55 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (5 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
- In a stainless steel bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Place over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly to prevent it from curdling, until the mixture becomes thick like sour cream and coats the back of a wooden spoon (165°F/74°C). This will take 10 minutes or more.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Cover immediately so a skin doesn’t form, and let cool. The curd will continue to thicken as it cools.