Based on a recipe from Taste of Home, our neighbor and friend Leona has made these for us a few times and they’re light and delicious. They are also very good with dried cherries instead of blueberries.
- 2 cups (260 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) lemon yogurt or use plain yogurt mixed with ½ teaspoon lemon flavoring oil instead of lemon peel and lemon yogurt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries if using frozen berries, do not thaw
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the yogurt, egg and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened; batter will be thick and spongy. I find that using my hands (inside food-safe gloves) works best. Fold in blueberries.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Yields 14-20 scones. Note: sometimes I make double-size scones, and bake at 385°F for 11 minutes.