Rich’s favorite cookies! Can be stored frozen; allow to thaw for 15 minutes before serving.
- 1½ pounds lekvar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large cake yeast
- pinch salt
- 1 pint sour cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 2½ cups Spry or shortening
- 7 cups flour
- Beat egg yolks, yeast, butter and shortening together, then add sour cream. Dump in the flour and mix well. Let stand in the refrigerator overnight.
- Next day roll out small portions at a time about ⅛-inch thick, and cut into small pieces about 2 inches square.
- Fill each with about ½ teaspoon of lekvar (more or less to your preference) and roll the dough just enough to overlap the ends. Roll lightly in sugar. Close ends gently with a fork.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350°F to 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.