- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried culinary lavender buds chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup chilled unsalted butter cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk plus 2 tablespoons for brushing
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sanding sugar
- lemon curd
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk 3 cups flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add butter; rub in with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk 1 cup buttermilk, zest, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until shaggy dough forms.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface; knead until dough forms, about 5 turns. Pat into a 10”x6” rectangle. Halve dough lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 4 squares. Cut each square diagonally in half into 2 triangles. Divide between baking sheets. Brush with 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired.
- Bake until scones are golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 13-15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with warmed lemon curd.