Feel free to add toasted walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts too!
- 1 large head of kale (about 3 cups, torn?)
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ red onion sliced
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika plus a pinch of chipotle powder)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- zest of one lemon
- Cook quinoa in ¾ cup water, and let cool.
- Make the dressing: combine dressing ingredients in liquid 2-cup measuring cup, and marinate onions for at least 30 minutes or up to a day ahead.
- Tear the kale into bite-sized pieces, making sure to remove the rib. Combine kale and quinoa, then sprinkle with the dried cherries. Add dressing and mix together thoroughly. Add lemon zest if desired. Note: I found the quantity of dressing to be too much for the salad, so I strained out the onions using a slotted spoon, and then added as much of the dressing as I felt the salad needed.