Adding the pulverized tea leaves to the batter is often done, but another method to steep the tea leaves in the milk and then strain (or use a tea bag)—I prefer this method. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose or cake flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Earl Grey tea pulverized
- In a bowl (or with a stand mixer), beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and cream the butter with the sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating each egg very well so that it is thoroughly combined before adding the next egg.
- Beat in half of the flour mixture along with the tea. Then add the milk and the remaining flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Fill the cupcake pans ⅔ full. Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes (mine are done right around 22 minutes), rotating the pans halfway through to ensure even baking. Cool thoroughly before frosting.
- Frost with Fluffy Orange Honey Frosting. (Or try a lemon buttercream or lavender.)