- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter cold, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest minced
- 1 cup heavy cream cold
- 1 egg blended with 1 tablespoon water
- coarse or granulated sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease a scone pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- Blend in butter with your fingers, smashing cubes into flour.
- Add cherries and zest; toss to combine. Add cream and mix together with your hands just until blended.
- Knead and pat dough into circle (8” diameter, 1” thick), cut into wedges, and transfer to baking sheet, spacing 2” apart, or scone pan.
- Brush with egg and water mixture, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Cool briefly on racks; serve warm.