This makes slightly more than 10 cups. Use a Hefty 10-cup round casserole foil pan measuring 9¼″ diameter by 2¾″ deep (packaging states it’s for 3-quart recipes).
- 4 cups (1-pound box) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2½ tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small cucumber seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup grated carrot optional
- 2 tablespoons pimento peppers chopped; optional
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook until tender and al dente, about 7 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, cucumber, (Carrot and pimentos if using) and the macaroni. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight.