The berries fall to the bottom and a buttery biscuit crust forms on top.
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- ¾ cup milk
- 1¼ cup sugar divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups fresh or frozen black raspberries or blackberries rinsed
- 1-2 tablespoons raw sugar optional
- Mix together berries and ¼ cup sugar, heat to boiling and cook for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Pour melted butter in 8”x8” pan.
- Mix together milk, 1 cup sugar, flour and baking powder. Pour this mixture over the melted butter. Do not stir.
- Pour berries over batter and butter. Do not stir.
- Sprinkle raw sugar over berries, if desired.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until light golden brown.
17 Jul 2022: I only had 1 cup of red raspberries, so I made a half-recipe in an 8”x4” loaf pan. Bake time was 35 minutes in a toaster oven with convection. This worked very well!