- 1 packet active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm (100°F) water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups (195g) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter soft or melted
- ½ cup hot (115°F) milk butter may be softened in milk
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
- Place all ingredients in order into small mixing bowl. Beat at speed 3 for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour to make a very stiff dough. Dough may be kneaded about 8 minutes at this time. Let rise one hour before shaping.
- If not kneading, cover and let dough rest 15 minutes. Shape and bake as directed.
Use the paddle attachment for step 1, and then switch to the dough hook for kneading. I like using European-style cultured butter (such as Kerrygold) for this dough. Salted is fine but if using, reduce the salt in the recipe to 1 teaspoon.