Mom’s notes say to use 3 eggs, instead of 2.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup light cream/half & half
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks reserve the whites for the meringue
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 2 egg whites
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup flaked coconut divided
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- Scald milk and cream (heat until bubbles form at edges in the top of a double boiler, over simmering water).
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, sugar and salt; mix thoroughly.
- Add to milk and cook 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mixture should be thick and smooth. Lightly whisk egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Continue whisking while pouring ¼ cup hot milk mixture over yolks; return yolk mixture to double boiler and cook one minute longer.
- Cool and add vanilla and ½ cup coconut.
- Pour filling into pre-baked pie shell.
- Make meringue:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat whites until stiff but not dry.
- Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly. Add vanilla.
- Pile lightly onto hot filling in baked pie shell and spread to edges so pie is completely sealed.
- Top with meringue and and sprinkle remaining ½ cup coconut over top.
- Bake in preheated 325°F oven 15 minutes or until firm and delicately browned.
- Cool and store in refrigerator.