- 3 large egg whites
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¾ cup eucalyptus honey
- 1 cup dried apricots or other dried fruit diced
- Place whites in the bowl of a 5-quart stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Place water, corn syrup and 2 cups sugar in a medium saucepan. Spoon honey into a second, smaller saucepan. Set both saucepans aside.
- Whip the egg whites on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, slowly add remaining sugar and whip about 2 minutes, until medium peaks form. Turn off the mixer.
- Place the pot with the honey over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. The mixture will boil up considerably at this point. Don’t stir. Cook until the honey reaches 248°F. As soon as it reaches temperature, turn the mixer on high and add the hot honey in a slow, steady stream. Whip until stiff peaks form and then turn off the mixer.
- Transfer the pot of water, corn syrup and sugar to the stove and cook over high heat. Boil until it reaches 290°F. Again, don’t stir. Turn the stand mixer on high and add the hot syrup in a slow, steady stream. Whip for 3 minutes.
- Add diced apricots and stir until combined. It will be very thick. Scoop the finished nougat onto a sheet of parchment paper. Cover with a second sheet of parchment and press the nougat into an even layer about 2 inches thick. Allow to cool completely.
- Remove parchment and cut the nougat into 1x2-inch pieces with a knife oiled with vegetable or another flavorless oil. Wipe knife down between cuts and re-oil the knife.